As the 2016-17 season fast approaches we wanted to take this opportunity to put our some preliminary information.
Don’t miss our Preseason NYHL Get Together at Newburyport Brewery at 6pm on Thursday, September 1st – bring your family down, along with your street hockey sticks, to get together with your team mates and hockey parents to kick off the 2016-17 season. Food and Drinks will be ala carte. We will have some NYHL items there for purchase.
1. Tuition Payments: Full Season Players must be paid in full by October 31, 2016. Payments of $350.00 are due on August 1st, September 1st and final payment is due by October 1st, 2016. All Midget players’ tuition is due in full by September 1st. If you paid the registration fee of $150.00, then your balance would be $300.00
If you have questions regarding your payments, please contact Matt Brown at
2. USA Hockey Registration: If you have not already done so, you must go online and register your skater with USA Hockey.This renewal is required annually for all players and coaches from Mite Instructional through Midgets. Players and coaches will not be allowed on the ice until they are registered. If you are not registered and you step on the ice and get hurt, NYHL is not responsible. The link is: https://www.usahockeyregistration.com/login_input.action When completed, USA Hockey will send you a confirmation. Please forward this confirmation page to
and maintain a hardcopy.
3. Schedule: Practice will begin the week of September 6th with anticipated Valley League and Martian-Midget games the following weekend. Watch for practice times on the website, as times may vary until all of our ice time begins at PEA and Govs Rinks. Mite Instructional practices will start mid-Sep with games projected for the end of September. There will be NO pre-season ice this year.
NYHL is committed to improving the scheduling and information dissemination for more predictability with upcoming events. Mites thru Midgets will play the majority of games during the weekend and have additional practices scheduled based on ice availability and game schedules. Individual teams may also schedule dryland or off-ice practices and participate in tournaments at their coach’s discretion. Although it is always subject to change, the schedule will primarily be as follows:
Fall Ice - Regular schedule will begin later in September when out Philips Exeter ice begins and run through the end of November :
Mite Instructional– Tuesday 6pm – Graf Rink; Friday 7pm – Graf Rink; (Optional learn to skate Sunday at 10am – Graf Rink); Weekend games – Graf Rink.
Winter & Spring Ice – December through the end of February & March - April:
Mite Instructional – Tuesday 6pm – Graf; Friday 7pm – Graf Rink; )Optional learn to skate Sunday at 10am – Graf Rink); Weekend games – Graf Rink. Season ends at the conclusion of the Fournier tournament with occasional practices and parents games up until tryouts.
Mite- Tuesday 7pm – Philips Exeter
Squirt -Thursday 6:45pm – Philips Exeter
PeeWees - Thursday 7:45pm – Philips Exeter
Bantams - Tuesday 8pm – Philips Exeter
Girls Middle School U14 – Games begin Nov. 1st and will be scheduled Fri, Sat or Sun nights, each weekend through February, Playoffs will begin March 1st. Practices when ice availability. Girls can participate in biweekly skills with Hill Hockey once they begin on Monday Nights in December. More info to follow.
There will be additional weekend ice for Mites-Bantams during this time period based on game schedules and ice availability. Teams will start to rotate on Monday nights for skills sessions with Hill Hockey Clinic Skills Sessions.
Note: During February School Vacation ice will be limited due to the Newburyport Bank High-School Tournament. IF teams participate, the Fournier Tournament is projected to run the last week of Feb and first week of March at both the Graf Rink and Rinks at Exeter.
Exeter ice ends in early March and Governors ice ends after March 20th.Tryouts for 2017-18 will be held in mid-March. Valley League games will end the first week in April with playoffs.
Additional Scheduling information:
Valley League - Parity rounds occur twice at the start of the season and the schedule is released in multiple phases throughout the year. Parents should continuously check http://www.valleyhockeyleague.com/ for updated information and even “like” VHL on Facebook and/or follow on Twitter. This helps with notification on canceled games due to bad weather too.
Major Events – Save the Date
Sep 1st – Preseason Get together at Newburyport Brewery at 6pm
Oct – Photos and Merchandise Night; Learn to Skate
Nov – Tag Day and Midget Maroon/ Gold game
Dec – Cash Calendar sales
Jan - Learn to Play begins, runs for 10 weekly sessions
4. NYHL Contact Information: Schedules and announcements are made primarily through NYHL.org. You must ensure your contact information is updated on the website. It is your responsibility and not the Board of Directors or your child’s coach to update your contact information.
5. Coaches: All coaches and on-ice or locker room volunteers must submit a CORI form. Please provide a copy of your license and the background check form located NYHL.org to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is an annual requirement. You can also mail or drop it off at 27 Marquand Lane, Newburyport, MA 01950. Coaches are also required to complete age specific training modules and online SafeSport training from USA Hockey, which is valid for two years. http://www.usahockey.com/safesporttraining
6. Volunteers: The NYHL Board of Directors is looking for volunteers to help throughout the season. Please register on NYHL.org.
7. Corporate Donations / Sponsorships: NYHL is a not for profit and is seeking out individuals or organizations that may be in a position to make a tax-deductible donation. Remember that our non-profit status is a great opportunity to utilize corporate matching or year-end tax deductions. There are different levels of sponsorships available as well. Please contact the Board of Directors for more information.
8. Graf Rink Fundraising: The Graf rink will donate a portion of paid advertising to NYHL. There are opportunities for signs on the boards or Zamboni. Please contact The NYHL Board for more information and visit
9. Uniforms: As you all know, we have decided to purchase new uniforms for each player this year, as well as socks. Game jerseys can be used for multiple years and are the player’s responsibility. When jerseys and socks are in, we will announce jersey pickup nights, most likely the first week of practices. Additional socks will be available for purchase at the uniform pickup nights, as well.
10. Rules: Per your registration form, and NYHL rink and league contracts, NYHL participants are required to comply with the rules and regulations at each rink and league NYHL participates in. Parents should familiarize themselves with each.
11. Learn to Skate and Learn to Play Hockey: NYHL will continue to run Learn to Skate on Sunday Mornings at the Graf. Sessions will begin in October and last through February. Learn to Play will begin the first week in January run for 10 weeks for children of all ages. Please encourage friends and family to sign up if they are interested in learning to skate or play. It is a great first step for kids to try hockey before they are ready to make a full commitment.
12. Ice Availability/ Drop ins: NYHL has a surplus of ice throughout the year due to ongoing contracts and anticipated game schedules. In addition to practices, occasional drop-in “stick-time” will occur throughout the year. Often these will be at short notice so look for emails and postings online. Because of the additional ice, if parents or someone you know is interested in birthday parties, ice utilization etc, we encourage you to contact the Board of Directors for available hours prior to contacting the rinks. This includes ½ sheet usage too.
The Newburyport Youth Hockey League Board of Directors